Artist name: Chris Hornsby
Release name: I Was Hoping I’d Run Into You (single)
Release date: 5/5/14
1. Where and when did you first discover your interest in music?
Pretty much everyone I knew was a musician of some sort when I was younger. There were Guitars (lots of Guitars), Pianos, Wind instruments just littering the place. Would have been weirder not to be interested in music I think.
2. What are your main ambitions in the industry?
To keep carving my niche, perhaps widen it a bit!
3. When did you start writing your own songs/music?
I’ve always written stuff, I have notebooks from my early teens kicking around somewhere. Reading Kerouac has the effect of making you want to fill pages with stream-of-consciousness writing that really no one needs to read. Luckily I was listening to some great songwriters too, so learnt a little bit about discipline and editing. Most of my songs are quite short, which is intentional.
4. What would you say is your music career highlight to date?
Hearing a roar of sound coming back off a large crowd after playing a set.
5. Who will we hear in your songs? What are your influences?
So far, whenever I have been compared to someone it’s someone I haven’t heard of which makes me wonder what the hell I’m doing with my influences that is mangling them up so much. But my influences are quite varied so maybe that is why. I’d say dash of Dylan, a cup of Cohen, some of Van Morrison’s folkier stuff and bit of The Band. Plus a load of stuff that I sound very little like, such as the Cocteau twins.
6. What’s the most important thing you’d want to tell people about your current release?
It goes well with a beer.
7. Who else can you recommend from your genre or local area for people to have a listen to?
My local area is currently London so where would I start? If I was recommending music (don’t get me started, I will bore you) I’d tell them to turn all the lights out and listen to “Beeswing” by Richard Thompson.
8. Any gigs coming up?
Many! http://chrishornsby.co.uk/gigs for my latest – I’m in Brighton this weekend then London after that.
9. Where can we find/follow you online?