Artist name: Sorren Maclean
Release name: Way Back Home(EP)
Release date: March 6th
- Where and when did you first discover your interest in music?
My dad is a musician so I grew up playing music all my life, I was always interested in different styles of music. Even if I was just jumping on a piano.
- What are your main ambitions in the industry?
To let people hear my songs and play around the world with my friends.
- When did you start writing your own songs/music?
I started off co-writing in a band at school with a singer, then she left the island so I had to sing.
- What would you say is your music career highlight to date?
There’s been lots of highlights, one most fresh in my memory was this year (2015) at Celtic Connections festival in Glasgow, being part of the opening concert of the late Martyn Bennett’s ‘Grit’ orchestrated by Greg Lawson. It was the first time Grit had been performed live since Martyn past away 10 years ago. It was an 80 piece band. I’ve never seen an audience react the way they did, it was incredible!
- Who will we hear in your songs? What are your influences?
I like loads of singers, bands and musicians but I guess some of the people I was listening to at the time I wrote the record were Nick Drake, Kirt Vile, Fleet Foxes, Bob Dylan… to name a few.
- What’s the most important thing you’d want to tell people about your current release?
Although it’s my name on it, it’s very much a band record. I’ve played with them for years in many different forms as the backing band for other singers/groups so we all know each other’s playing really well and I think this comes across in the recording.
- Who else can you recommend from your genre or local area for people to have a listen to?
Hannah Fisher, Adam Holmes, The Barr Brothers..
- Any gigs coming up?
I’m on tour just now with King Creosote, around England. And will be touring with Idlewild and Mull Historical Society in the spring.
- Where can we find/follow you online?
I have Twitter (https://twitter.com/sorrenmaclean), Instagram and a Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sorren-Maclean/118761091489338) that I use sometimes. I’m not good with many of the others.